Thursday, February 6, 2014

I'm tired of the falling for the worlds promises

Valentines day is coming up…and the world says that if you don't have a valentine, then you better become very aware of you singleness.

The world says that it's sad to be single.  I mean sin is the first three letters of the word.   The world says that it's best if you rich.   It's great if you never have to worry about money.  They say that your really living if you have a nice husband, nice house, nice car, kids you love, and a successful job, as if your not living now!

Yet, why do we fall for the promises?  Why is it that when I watch a romantic movie; it creates a desire for me to have those kinds of relationships? They seem to say that if I just wait long enough, or have a  drastic makeover that someday my prince will come.  Yet, I find myself sad, when I don't find Chris Pine with a dozen roses at my door.

This reminds me of a story:

Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”
“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
“Which ones?” he inquired.
Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”
“All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”
Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.
Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”
When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”
Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
(Matthew 19:16-26)

Now when I read this verse I always find myself comparing myself to the rich young ruler.  I ask myself if I would be willing to give away all my things.  I don't know if I would do that and then I freak out and get all anxious. 

Yet today I thought of it from Jesus's perspective.  He just offered a guy infinite life and the guy choose something that is finite. This rich guy fell for the world's promises.

Now the question is will we?

In a world, where nothing is certain. Man, I hate it.  I'm one of those people that just like to know what's up, whether it's good or bad; I just like to know.  I hate not knowing things. 

Yet.  There is one thing that we can trust.  God is faithful.  I'm reading this book that goes through different names for God and this one is Emet Elohim Emet meaning faithful and true.  The book later listed words that applied to this area of God's character: steadfast, firm, steady, true, certain, sure, unmovable, trustworthy, established, honest, affirmed, loyal, amen, constant, dependable, verified, reliable, committed, secure. 

Wow!! That's quite a great list.  So in a world where moths come, things rust and thieves break in and destroy.  In a world of identity theft, confusion, and drama.  We can know and recognize that one thing will never change.  God's promises are true.  He will always love us and even when we fail, His love will remain.  

So, lets get filled with the promise of God, so that we never have to fall for the world's promises ever again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment