Thursday, February 20, 2014

Special Edition: Through the seasons, I am rooted in Christ.

Molly Wilson, one of the girls in my sorority, gave the devotional on wednesday night at our sorority meeting.  I thought it was amazing and God-breathed, so I asked her to type it up so I could share it with y'all.


Molly:  I was frustrated, weeks prior. Yet, a peace came over my heart that could have only been of the Lord. Now, I felt as if the rug had been pulled out from underneath me. I didn't understand what God was trying to do. I like to meet Jesus outside, so I went down by the water to my favorite picnic table. I was journaling, trying to be real with God, telling him I was mad and I was looking for rest. As I was writing, leaves started falling on my journal. When I lifted my eyes up to the trees over my head, God gave me clarity…brilliant clarity. There was no audible voice, but I heard him somehow, like in my heart.
He whispered to me. "Molls, this tree is in a season. It is losing things, changing, becoming more beautiful in a different way…and soon it is going to be completely bare. But in every season that this tree goes through, its roots don't change. It stays rooted in the same thing. And even though no one cares about this tree, it's just a tree, I continue to sustain it; I give it life and what it needs every single day. 
Molly, beloved, why is this not synonymous to you? You are in a season! You are definitely losing things, you're changing, becoming more beautiful in a different way…and right now you feel completely raw and bare. But even in this season, daughter, your roots do not change! You are rooted in my love and I breathe my life into you every single day. I continue to sustain you and give you what you need. And guess what? Just like this tree, you WILL bloom again. This season will pass. But even then, you will stay rooted in me."



Kenady: Wow.Praise the Lord, for his precious insight.
Molly: I have the phrase "more than birds" written on my hand because Matthew 6:26 says "Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father provides for them. Are you not of more value than they?" No one cares about the birds, no one even gives a thought to wonder if they have been taken care of. But the Lord provides for them. How much more does God care for his own children? Ezekiel 34:26 says, "I will bless my people and their homes surrounding my holy hill. In the proper season I will send the showers they need. There will be showers of blessing." God is faithful to give us exactly what we need when we need it, he knows our seasons, and he understands. Through the seasons, we are rooted in Christ and his unfathomable love.

"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete will all the fullness of life and power that comes from God." - Ephesians 3:16-19
Kenady: So, I don't know what season this finds you in? Yet, find encouragement that no matter if you feel bare or you feel fruitful know that there is one thing that remains. God's love.

"Blessed is the one
    who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
    or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
    and who meditates on his law day and night.
That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
    which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
    whatever they do prospers." (Psalm 1: 1-3) emphasis added

No comments:

Post a Comment