Wednesday, February 12, 2014

I am tired of the shying away from confidence.

Today I'm specifically talking to us, Christians about the concept of humility.  I'm tired of shying away from confidence, in order to be "humble".  I'm tired of never being able to say that I'm beautiful, because it could be perceived as pride.  I'm tired of it.

Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.  This is a common phrase that picked up.  Yet, why are we called to be humble.  What is the reason for it?

Well, primarily the reason for we are called to be humble is because pride is like making ourselves God.   God is the all powerful, almighty creator and the King of Kings.  If we put ourselves above God, we are extremely mistaken.  I feel like those of us who struggle with pride, like me, we know who we are and we eagerly seek to adjust this mindset.  For, we are not God.

The second reason we are called to be humble, is because it says that Jesus came to serve not to be served.  The King of Kings came to serve not to be served.  That is so crazy and yet it's true.  So, we are called to be like him and serve others.

Yet there is the misconception that comes into play.  Yes, we are supposed to love God first, others second, and ourselves third in order to have Joy.  Don't get me wrong here.

Yet some people take this concept as if we are supposed to act like we don't exist.  Humility is not humiliation.

Yet the command that Jesus says is "Love your neighbor as yourself", and one of my friends pointed out to me once, that we can't truly love our neighbor unless we know what is like to love ourselves.

In one of my favorite books Divergent by Veronica Roth she says "it's impossible to have real friendship when no one feels like they can accept help or even talk about themselves.

Wow….now before you jump on me just think about it a second.

The God of a the universe created you.  Isn't it an insult to him if you hate yourself? It gives him glory if you love yourself in the perspective that He created you.  If we love ourselves, and take pride in ourselves, thinking it's somewhat of our doing than we are wrong.  Yet if we recognize that God has created us, loving ourselves is the only thing that could be right.

I am a songwriter.  The other day I got to record my songs and watch them come to life.  I can't describe to you how great that makes me feel.  I love my songs.  I created them.  I'm proud of them.

So, if I, a feeble human, delight in my creation.  How much greater does God delight in His.

"For we are God's Handiwork created in Christ Jesus Ephesians 2:10 NIV
"For we are God's Masterpiece. He created us anew in Christ Jesus Ephesians 2:10 NLT
"For we are his workmanship created in Christ Jesu for good works Ephesians 2:10 ESV

I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.  Your eyes saw my unformed substance, in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.  Psalm 139:14-16

Wow, I love this verse because it shows how involved the creator was in forming me.  In the creation story,  all of creation was spoke into existence yet when God created Adam. He breathed life into him.

As a girl, this gives me confidence to know that I am loved even on single awareness day.  I know that I can be confident,
because God gave me gifts and talents.  I know that without Him I am nothing, but with Him I can be something.  So, I want to cherish the gifts God is given me.  I want to learn to love others, because I can truly love myself.

So, today, Let us walk with confidence, for the truth is:

We are loved
We are beautiful
The Lord thinks precious thoughts about us.
He dances with us
He fulfills our every need
He delights in us

And In his eyes:
You are worth it
You are spotless
There is no stain on you
You are a catch
You are exquisite
You are desired
You are cherished
You are no failure
You are no mistake
You are no klutz
You are no dork
He delights in your flaws
He sees your weaknesses as places to grow and learn

He leaves us speechless
He quiets us with his love
He serenades us
He cradles us
He blesses us
We are his creation
He longs to spend time with me


He wore a crown of thorns, so I could wear a crown of flowers.

I am worth dying for.

"You are altogether beautiful darling; there is no flaw in you." Song of Solomon 4:7


No comments:

Post a Comment