Thursday, January 30, 2014

I'm tired of idoltary

So, I decided to start a series of I'm tired of…. I feel as Christians we may begin to hate our sin but it isn't until we make up our mind to allow God to get rid of it that the bondage starts to fade away.  So I encourage you to comment or let me know, if you have a topic you want me to touch on.  I would love suggestions.  It just has to be something your tired of… I hope you don't say my blog…lol JK!!! ;)

So today I'm going to introduce the concept of idolatry.

I know this is kinda a deep topic to start off with, but God gave me an insight this morning and I just had to blog about it.

So, I feel like when we picture idolatry; we may think of a man bowing down to a golden statue. But an idol is anything that you worship besides God.  The definition of worship, according to google, is the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration of a deity. Some synonyms are exaltation and reverence.

I don't know about you, but I have worshiped the television a couple of times.  I love to watch TV shows and there are nothing wrong with the TV itself.  But when I start to give it more time than I do God and give it more praise than I do God. Then, it becomes a problem.

For in the old testament times, a major form of worship was the sacrifices that they would give to God before the alter.  For more information read the book of leviticus.  Leviticus is basically a guide to how to worship God.  But in short, God would ask them for the best of their possessions to sacrifice to Him on the author.

If the offering is a burnt offering from the herd, you are to offer a male without defect.You must present it at the entrance to the tent of meeting so that it will be acceptable to the Lord.  You are to lay your hand on the head of the burnt offering, and it will be accepted on your behalf to make atonement for you. You are to slaughter the young bull before theLord, and then Aaron’s sons the priests shall bring the blood and splash it against the sides of the altar at the entrance to the tent of meeting. (Levitucus 1:3-5)

I find it interesting that in the member of the tribes of Israel, their herd was their livelihood. 

So, what are we giving the best of our possessions too?  What about the best of our time? How bout the best of our energy?

It makes me sick to think that sometimes I will watch TV for hours on end and then when it comes time to do my quiet time I have a lack of motivation.

Yet, there is encouragement.  God showed me something this morning.

So, if you know anything about me, you may know that my dad is my best friend.

My dad and I are really really close.  I tell him everything…yes I even tell him about who I like.

Anyways, college has been a little bit hard for me because I miss him so so much.

So, anyone that has missed someone can understand that you tend to be drawn to other people and things that remind you of him.  I find myself longing to spend time with these people because they remind me of my dad and it helps me when I miss him.

Yet I realized…these people aren't him.  Nor will they ever be him.

Don't we do this to God?  We spend time with people and do things that aren't him and could never come close to who He is.

We are just getting a replacement that can't even come close to who he is.

I find it encouraging to know that there is a God that is so great and so amazing that we nothing can even compare or come close to his presence and his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment