Tuesday, January 14, 2014

God's Will

 It seems like the topic of God's will creeps into almost every christian conversation.  Most all christians want to do what is God's will, or at least want to know what God's will is.  I often thought that people were envious of me because I seemed to know what I wanted to do in life but the truth is...

The search for God's will has been very very stressful for me especially sense I have gotten to college and all these new decisions have approached me.  Yet, God doesn't create stress. For it is written "For God has not given us a Spirit of Fear, but of power, of love and of sound mind" 2 Timothy 1: 7

Then, Why does discerning God's Will stress me out?

Maybe because I'm putting too much focus on the fact that I have to figure it out, when I should be focused on the fact that 1. He has already figured it out and 2. He is in control.

I was reading Follow Me by David Platt and it had a whole chapter on God's will that really caught my attention.  He starts off by describing different methods for discerning God's will.  The first method he describe is the " Random Finger Method" where you point to a random scripture in the bible and assume that that verse will dictate your decision.  Then, He describes the "Astonishing Miracle Method," where we wait for some fantastic burning of the bush miracle to happen.  Then, there is the "Striking Coincidence Method" which is when a coincidence happens and you assume that God sent that to tell you his will.  There is the "Cast the fleece Method" which is when we test God to discern what he wants us to do.  Then there is the "Open door method" and the "Closed door method" and etc…

The funny thing is I've probably used most of these in the last six months.  Wow……



I was struck by the fact that I, feeble Kenady, has been trying to comprehend God's will for my future and present by a million different methods.

Yet, I don't need to have methods because I have a relationship with the creator of this will.  He is my Father, Husband, Confidant, and Friend.  I think it's silly to think that God is going to send us on a wild goose chase when, in fact,  He was there all along.  I also find it kinda silly that we think that God will not tell us if we are in the wrong path or at least warn us.

David Platt, in his book Follow me, says "Such questions lead us to realize that far more important than looking and searching for God's will is simply knowing and trusting God. We yearn for mechanical formulas and easy answers when it comes to the will of God…We want to find shortcuts to the mind of God. But this is not God's design-or should I say, this is not God's will.  His ultimate concern is not to get you or me from point A to point B along the quickest, easiest, smoothest, clearest route possible.  Instead, his ultimate concern is that you and I would know him more deeply as we trust him more completely"

The issue of God's will has confronted me with a couple of issues specifically in my life.  God has made it clear to me that I need to stop stresses and trust Him.  He has made it clear that He doesn't want me to know His plans for the future because He wants to teach me a few things first.  He wants to first and foremost teach him to trust Him.



When we don't know what to do, We must trust that God knows and has the power and desire to get us to where we need to be.

When we do know what to do, We must trust that God knows us more than anyone else and that his plan is perfectly designed just for us and is, in fact, the best.

I may not know what classes I'm taking next semester?, if I'm going to continue studying to have a masters degree?, what my future job will be?, if I'm going to marry and if so who?, if I'm going to have kids and if so how many?

But one thing I do know.  "Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails" (Proverbs 19: 21).

Therefore, Lets trust God and know that He is in control.  Trust and worry can't go together so the more we trust, the less we worry.

Let us dedicate to stop worrying about the future and enjoy the present.  "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matthew 6:34).   When we start to give the future to God, we will have more time and energy to enjoy today.  



No comments:

Post a Comment