Thursday, January 23, 2014

Anxiety

I struggle with anxiety.  It is something that can get my heart racing for no reason.

Most often when we think of anxiety, we think it will be fixed, if we get something done or check something off or list.

This makes me think of a passage of scripture.

 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.  She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her (Luke 10:38-42).

I often feel like Martha, constantly bowing down to the tyranny of the urgent, so once I'm finished I can rest.  I often feel as if I constantly trying to find peace by checking items off on my to-do list or trying to nail down God's will. 


Yet as I'm running around getting things down…I could be missing out.  Martha sure was.  There was things that needed to be done.  Laundry to be put away.  Homework due tomorrow.  Yet where was Mary.  Mary was at Jesus' feet.  

Now, I'm not telling you to abandon schoolwork, cleaning and planning.  I'm just creating awareness, that the homework may never ever end and it's almost guaranteed that laundry will never be finished. 

So…why do we turn to the completion of these things for our peace.

Jesus says "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest" Matthew 11:28 

At Jesus' feet is where we will have peace.  It is where we can find fulfillment and hope.  

Yet first we must set down the books, and look up.  We must relish in presence and dig into his word. Why….because He cares for us.  Say what?  "Cast all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you" 1 Peter 1:9  


Hidden in this popular verse is the reason why we sit at his feet.  Because He cares about us.  Does that homework care about you?  Will that laundry love you back?  No, yet we know that we can give everything to the Lord because He loves us enough to provide us with what we need.  When we turn to Him because He cares for us, He will give us time, resources and energy to do what we need to do.  

So, Let us look to God for peace and fulfillment for we can trust Him to supply us what we needs because He cares of us.  Also, let us never be too busy for God…for He isn't too busy for us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment