Tuesday, April 29, 2014

God: Am I not enough for you?

A girl and a guy face other, some distance apart.  The girl, frustrated.  The boy, trying to understand, but never can relate.  The emotions rise, and accusations are made.  The girl hurls one last insult and the boy with tear-stained eyes says, "Am I not enough for you?"

……..

Sometimes I get a sense of God looking at us with tear-stained eyes asking,  "Am I not enough for you?" 

Now, the boy in the story is an imperfect guy and may not be enough for her.  

But the ironic thing about God asking that question, is that God is the ONLY thing that can be enough for us.  The only thing. 

He is the solution to our every need.  He is our other half and our completion.  He is faithful and He is true.  He is all good, and consistent.  He fills my heart, and doesn't just satisfy it, but He overwhelms it. For more on how amazing God is check out Broken Hallelujah. 

So, why would God be asking this?

In our lives, we have things we desire, and want.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. God made us to yearn for things.  Yet, sometimes those desires become something to fulfill us, and satisfy us and in turn become our identity.  

It's easy for me to turn to my boyfriend and expect him to be God.  I want him to meet my needs and fulfill every longing in my heart, yet I know he can't. 

It's easy for me to turn to my grades and expect them to satisfy me,  and define me.  An A means I am worthy, but a B means that I am a disgrace.  

It's easy for me to turn to fame, If I just had more page views, it means that I am successful.

It's easy for  me to turn to wishing.  If I just had a more of this or that, then I would be satisfied.  

It's easy for all of us to turn to the world, to our desires, even to the Church to fill our needs.  Don't get me wrong, these things will and can serve a purpose.  God can use the Church, but the Church ain't God.  

But at the end of the day, God is ultimately asking, "Who are you living for?"   

"Who/what do you seek to fulfill you?"  

Because if we seek the world, which is super easy to do, we won't be satisfied. 

And God in his jealous nature looks down and asks "Am I not enough that you would settle for that to complete you?"  

"Was my son not enough for you?"

Man, just imagining God saying that brings me to near tears.  God gave it all for you, now He is asking for you to give it all to Him. 

I think sometimes giving it all to Him is scary because we are worried that we will lose something important.  But it's like when my dad would give me a hundred dollar bill for a target gift card.  It isn't just a good trade, but it's a trade that everyone would make.  

For the world will let me down, check out I'm tired of falling for the worlds promises.  The world will leave me broken and hurt, if I look to it for my identity.  But God promises that He will satisfy every need and fulfill my broken heart.  He is full of mercy and grace and He gives us an identity.  Our identity in Christ is that we are forever His and He is ours.  How beautiful is that, I would take that any day over the identity of smart, girlfriend, blessed daughter, or wealthy.  


I am forever His, and I want to show Him every day that that is not just enough for me, but it's MORE than enough for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment