Tuesday, July 1, 2014

All you had to do was ask!!

I've been on a trip to costa rica with my extended family.  I have cousin who is 4 and a cousin who is 1.  Let me just say that they taught me a lesson this week.

The baby, the one year old, is an interesting little man.  He is always curious, always reaching and wanting to do stuff.  He wants this, and he wants that.  The most interesting thing is that we give it to him.  The only time we don't is when it is dangerous, or unhealthily or unwise.  Yet, other than that we give him most everything he asks for.

Now, God is our father, and I know we have heard this a million times, but just hear me out for a second.  If God is our father, and He is greater and more compassionate that any earthly father, why wouldn't He give us what we ask for.

But here is the problem.  We don't ask.  I don't ask.

My Aunt told me a story about how she went on vacation with my uncle and at the end of the trip, he  asked her what she didn't like about the trip.  She listed off a list of things and to each of them my uncle responded with "Next time, Just ask!"

Why don't we ask?  I don't know. I think sometime I forget too or I think what I'm asking for is silly or something.

Yet if God truly loves us and promises to give us more than we can ask or imagine than why not ask.  Now if we ask if we can walk across the street while there is traffic, God might say no and we may not understand why.  Yet, why not keep asking? Why not keep talking?  Why aren't we squirmy like a one year old is?  Ready to move, always asking, wiggling and ready?

Instead we just sit and wait for God just to hand us stuff.  Have we ever wondered if He was just sitting and waiting for us to ask?

So, lets ask!!  I don't want my God at the end of my journey to say. "You could have asked!"

No comments:

Post a Comment