Friday, June 6, 2014

God doesn't need you

Based on the title, you were probably intrigued and maybe asked yourself if Kenady has become a heretic?

Well, I assure you that although we don't hear this often in the church, it is one of the most life-giving truths once we fully understand it.

Let's start with God.  God is a triune God, meaning that He is one God with three distinct persons.  If you have questions on the trinity, you can private message me, but for now we are going to move on.

God loves himself.  Now, this makes us all cringe.  That means God is selfish right? No!! God is God and if He loved anything more than himself, it would be an idol.  You hear me?

So, once we can wrap our minds around this, it's really rewarding.

Next principle, God not only loves Himself, but God loves Himself, more than He loves you.

Now, this is hard for selfish me to get through my head.  I'm like no God loves me, He really does!

It's very, very true.  God loves you,  and He loves you more than anything else He created.

Yet, God doesn't need you.  Say what?  God is completely sufficient within Himself.  He has everything He needs.

This is hurtful until you understand a simple principle.

So, I really enjoy attention. I'm an only child.  Attention is like currency to me and whoever gives the most of it, must be the most valuable.

Yet, God is changing this attitude, thank goodness, through the way of my boyfriend.

I realized that I was really stressed out about our relationship because I needed him.  I was going to him to fulfill a God-sized need for attention.  Basically I was putting my happiness and contentment, in someone else's human hands, and that is stressful.  No matter how much attention he gave me, and trust me he gives me a lot, it still won't be enough because the hole in my heart is a God-sized hole.   So, when I turn to God to fulfill me in giving attention, I no longer need and/or desperate for my boyfriends attention.  This gives me a whole lot more time and energy to love him.

Now, let's relate this to God.  When God doesn't need us, He has all of his time and energy, which never runs dry, to love us.


The next truth is: God may not need us, but He wants us.

This is by far the most amazing news ever.  God loves me when I do nothing for Him.  I don't complete Him. That is why He can send His son to die on the cross out of love for a people, that could never love Him back.  God wants your love, but He doesn't need it.  So, He risks it all, to pursue us with His love.
I love this picture…See God's hand on the right is reaching for Adam, not out of need, obviously Adam is not giving God anything.  Yet, because God doesn't need Adam, but wants him, God can pursue us with all confidence even when He gets nothing in return. 

If God needed Adam, He wouldn't be going to Adam.  But because God wants Adam, there is nothing we could to stop God from running towards Adam. 

So, please share this post so that everyone knows that God wants them.

No comments:

Post a Comment